domenica 3 maggio 2009

AND THE WEB TOOL OF THE WEEK IS.... GOOGLE DOCS!

Hi all!
Do you know what Google Docs is? Well, this week I learnt something more about what it is and how to use it.
Let's think about the main characteristics of this web tool and the advantages you can have in using it.
First of all, it is a free online tool which allows users share and collaborate online; that means that you can create, share and edit online documents, spreadsheets and presentations while collaborating in real time with other users. The main advantage of Google Docs is that you can access to your files from any computer, at any time. It simplifies the system by putting the data on the Internet: that makes sharing and collaborating on documents much easier. Furthermore, it is a close system, so you have control on whom can view and have access to your documents. That's extremely important in order to protect your data and to prevent plagiarism. If the old way attaches a file to an e-mail, this new way inverts the system by attaching e-mails to a file. Indeed, you simply invite who you want to collaborate on the document you shared. In this way you can work with other people on the same document and edit at the same time. That makes it extremely simpler and convenient when working, commenting, editing and reviewing your and your collaborators' drafts. Another important aspect of Google Docs is that it allows all collaborators to make changes while giving the possibility of going back to previous versions and checking them by clicking on "History". It's a system that makes editing more organized, precise and secure. I think that this new tool will be very useful for my next tasks as student but also for the future as worker.
HE THAT LEARNS A TRADE, HATH A PURCHASE MADE!!
See you soon,
Have a nice Sunday!

4 commenti:

  1. Hi Francy,
    I agree with you when you say that Google Docs is a real useful tool we have to use as students and in the future as workers. There is a big amount of free tools on the Web but some of these are not so easy to use or they are a waste of time. Google Docs makes the difference. If I'll have to work on something working together with other students or colleagues, I'll use it. Google Docs, being a close system, allows users to protect their own work and plagiarism is the dangerest problem someone can avoid=).
    As far as your language is concerned, here are some advices:
    _ "which allows users share and collaborate online": I think you forget the "To": "to share and to collaborate", as it is "to allow somebody to do something";
    _ "That's extremely important in order to protect your data and to prevent plagiarism": it's ok, I'd have added a especially before to prevent plagiarism; so the sentence would be: and especially to prevent plagiarism"; I think to add an adv. gives a sense of completition in this sentence;
    _ "that means that you can create", I think if I'm not wrong that you could also say "it means that" in this context.
    I thank you for your comment on my blog post.
    See you on Wednesday=)
    ELE

    RispondiElimina
  2. I'd like to correct my post above=)).. if I'll have to work on something together with other students or colleagues, I'll use it.
    ELE =)What a shame! I make so many mistakes..=((

    RispondiElimina
  3. Dear Ele,
    don't even think making mistakes is a shame!! WE ARE HERE TO LEARN, to think about our mistakes in order to better ourselves and to improve our language skils. ;)
    See you soon,
    francEsCA

    RispondiElimina
  4. Hi Francesca,

    nice, catchy title for your post about Google Docs! I think we are improving our written style a lot!
    I agree with you and with all our peers who say that this new tool is useful and can be used for our future group works or even at work. In my opinion, this online free close system could also be used when we will be writing our thesis. As a matter of fact, using Google Docs is a good solution to avoid going to the regular office hours of our Professors every week. You could simply inform your teacher by e-mail that you edited a new chapter and they could correct it or give you advice online. Unfortunately, in Italy it seems that technology is not associated with Universities and education in general. I believe that many people are still convinced that the Internet is something neither serious nor reliable. What a pity...
    Anyway, I think you wrote a good post and I like the proverb at the very end. I’d like just to point out some things I noticed:
    • I think you should say “allows users to share files”: allow + to and I would put an object after share (files, documents, spreadsheets etc.);
    • I would say “this means that” rather than “that means that”;
    • “If the old way attaches a file... e-mails to a file”: I did not understand well what you mean. I think I would change the subject: “with the traditional tools you can attach a file to an e-mail. On the contrary, using Google Docs it is possible to ...”. Yet, it seems to me a bit obscure... what do you mean with “attaching e-mails to a file?” As a computer user, I am a disaster! :-)
    • “That makes it extremely simpler...”: the pronoun “it” seems to be referred to “the same document”, but I don’t think you are referring to that.
    • Either you say “simpler and more convenient” or you could write “that makes it extremely simple/ easy to use and convenient”;
    • Secure or safe? I would say safe= protected, not harmed/ lost, without danger.

    See you tomorrow,
    Bye,

    Francesca Martellozzo

    RispondiElimina