domenica 19 aprile 2009

A STEP BACKWARDS...

We all are working on searching, evaluating and filtering information. As we've learned so far, being critic is an important step to gather ideas in order to create the own one. So let's apply our critical approach on what I have written so far.
Are my blog posts well structured? logical, cohesive, clear and concise?
Going back to what I've made I can have an idea of my mistakes, my bad habits but also my improvements. While rereading my posts from the very first to the last one I noticed a difference in organizing information. The more recent posts seem to follow a more precise structure. However, my bad habit persists! I've always been long-winded, made loong sentences, complex periods.. I wonder if even the nuns of my nursery school told me to be MORE CONCISE!! It's really an effort to me to be clear. I always have to skim and scan my own ideas before writing clearly. It's a characteristic of mine: I'm complicated.. Anyway, I realized I've also made improvements: I try to be precise and accurate, to find the appropriate words following a logical structure.
We are here to learn in order to correct ourselves and to improve. So I will do my best.

1 commento:

  1. Hi Francesca,

    I was pleased to read your post about your learning process so far. I had a look to my older posts, too and in my opinion we are all making a concerted effort to be clear, concise and effective. Needless to say, it is extremely important to bear in mind the structure introduction- body and conclusion also when writing posts. Moreover, paragraphs are a useful device to improve the readability of our works, especially if they are published on the Internet (I find rather hard to read extensive articles on the screen of my pc).

    As far as language is concerned, here are some things I noticed:
    · Why the question mark after ‘structured’? ( I think it is a typing mistake);
    · I would say “going back to what I wrote” because you wrote your posts weeks ago;
    · I would say “I noticed a difference in the organization of information”;
    · Long and not loong, unless you want emphasise the fact that you are loooooong- winded (I am, too);
    · I would put ‘and’ after ‘sentences’ because it is the last item of a list;
    · I would write “it is really an effort for me to be clear”;
    · I would put a comma after so, but I am not 100% sure.

    By the way, I think there was a misunderstanding... We were supposed to complete the task on the last page of Handout 2... This was about the research article for our dissertation. I think you wrote a post about the task on the first page of the Handout.
    Anyway, well done!
    See you soon,
    Have a nice day!

    Francesca M.

    RispondiElimina