mercoledì 8 aprile 2009

MY CRITICAL APPROACH ON...

Hi guys!
We were discussing how to evaluate online sources and how to be critic towards information in general. I'm now going to apply my critical approach on an essay I found on the Web following the criteria of my checklist. Since in this moment I am studying for the exam of English Medieval Literature I am particularly interesting in deepening my knowledge on the topic, that is Chaucer's Troilus and Criseyde. Chaucer's work is really fascinating, but also very complicated (as every fascinating thing!;). I used Google scholar for my research and I found this article about the character of Criseyde. When reading the text I realised that the content was particularly relevant to the information I need. The TITLE is: CRISEYDE'S ROUTHE and the AUTHOR is Kate Bauer, a teacher who recently completed her M.A. in English literature at New York University, where she is continuing her studies toward a Ph.D. Through this main information on the author I could have a fair idea of who wrote the article and thus understand the reliability and authority of the document itself. The aim of this article is to discuss a dissertation on Criseyde's figure by comparing different positions and studies on the issue. The text clearly follows the structure of the argumentative text and the style is formal and academic. Furthermore, the source provides accurate and exhausted information. What I found particularly interesting and relevant to my research was the fact that most of the quotations were from the books I am to study. (Chaucer's Troilus and Criseyde, ed. Stephen A. Barney, and Boccaccio's Il Filostrato, to give some examples). The article is not really recent but it is rather difficult to find critical essays or studies on literature subjects. Unfortunately, there is no specific datum about the time of writing or publication.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento